Baby its "Chili" outside


Photos courtesy Google imaging
Recipe courtesy Deon Stokes

Chili:

4 tablespoons olive oil
4 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 package of McCormick Chili Seasoning (Hot)
2 Morning Star Italian Sausages
2t of ground cumin
2 jalapenos (with seeds if your strong enough)
1 green peppers, seeded and finely diced
1 package of Morning Star Crumbles
1 bunch of chopped cilantro
sprinkle of cheddar cheese
sour cream

juice of 1 lemon

4 diced roma tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1 cup water
2 tablespoons cocoa
5 cans of target brand chili beans (undrained)

Okay, so my new favorite host on Food Network and Winner of the Next Food Nextwork Star Aarti taught me (via her show) how to get the most from your seasoning. You take a few tablespoons of oil and heat in a small sautee pan. Once its good and hot... add your spices. It brings out the real flavor of EVERYTHING. I made this chili last night with this technique and it just wasnt the best chili that I have ever had... It was the best thing I have ever eaten!!! (okay, okay... I was really hungry so maybe I wasnt a fair judge... but it was close to the best.)

How To...

Add your olive oil to a deep pot... allow it to get real hot and add your onions, bell pepper and jalapenos. Allow them to sweat out and get soft.
Add your tomatoes, garlic and meats. Stir them all to incorporate.
Once everything is starting to cook down, add your lemon juice and ketchup. Mix well.
Slowly add your water and watch out for the steam.
Add your cans of beans and stir your pot of goodness together.

Now for the fun part. In a small sautee pan add about 4 tablespoons of oil. Get the oil really hot and add your package of McCormick seasoning. I also added cracked pepper, garlic salt (haha, inside joke), cumin and cocoa. It is going to pop and crack but its fills your house with these great smells. Add the hot oil to your pot and stir well.

Allow to cook down on low for about 30 minutes.

Top with cheese, sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy!!!

Optional: Rice and Chili or add corn bread.

Dear Mina.... Can you please be a guest writer one day and share your recipe for corn bread? Please!!!

3 comments

Anonymous | September 30, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Sure thing honey! Or maybe I'll just write it in my blog and that will force you to come to it! lol

~M~

kdr*S | September 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM

LOL... You never told me the address. Please let me know how to get there.

Smooches

Anonymous | September 30, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I emailed it to you!!!!!

http://edible-sound.blogspot.com

~M~

Post a Comment